Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sometimes I wonder why they even bother to send us home...

I apologize for the LONG time in between posts.
Things have been busy.
I try to update our FB Life with Lily page daily though

So basically we had two blissful weeks at home.
And then we decided to feed her.
When I say decided to feed her I mean we were approved by all her drs to feed her...
And She LOVED the 1/2 oz of thickened formula she ate by mouth.
But within hours she began to not tolerate her feeds.
She started having diarrhea.
She lost all energy.
Then because her Fundo has failed she started vomiting.
I was hoping it was just a flu but the last time we tried to feed her by mouth
this EXACT same thing happened.
I tried everything I could to help her at home but she kept getting worse.
We had to take her in. 
Withing 10 minutes of being in the ER they were admitting her.

Then while we were sitting in the Er 
Lily just randomly passed out.
She was just sitting there then she was arching her back and went completely ridgid
her eyes rolled back and she lost consciousness.
This seemed similar to some of her earlier events but she didn't stop breathing.
I yelled for help and people came running.
They said it looked like a seizure.
We were admitted for stay #23 on Monday Nov 5th
 They did an EEG to see if there was any sign of seizure activity.
The EEG showed some slowing of her brain waves wich
"might or might-not mean it was a seizure"
They decided they wanted to just wait and see if she had another one...

Also,
The Drs didn't believe she 
"wasn't tolerating" and decided she just had a stomach bug.
(whatever happened to that note that was supposed to be in her chart that said to listen to mom? They told me 4 or 5 stays ago that they would listen to my instincts and have me be a part of the "team"...
I guess since she has a trach now all that's changed?)
They put her on IV fluids for a couple days then quickly raised her feeds back to her goal rate
 of 43ml an hour for 24 hours a day.
And by Thursday morning we were going home.
I Told them we would probably see them again in a day or two when she started not tolerating 
but they still believed it was a flu and she was fine now.
I let their optimism carry me home.
I mean their arguments made perfect sence.
(if I ignored her past history AND believed in CRAZY coincidences)
And It COULD have been just a flu...

She got home and slept for 18 hours straight.
(something that would NOT have been possible in the hospital so maybe
 we went home just for that reason)
Then she woke up and the vomiting started again...
It was just twice on friday morning and again in the afternoon.
The diarrhea was gone so she wasn't getting dehydrated 
and I really wanted her drs to look at her monday in their clinic
instead of have whatever Dr was on call making decisions based
 on their brief skimming of her HUGE file.
But On Sat Morning her stomach wasnt emptying AT ALL and the vomiting was 
so severe and she was vomiting out of her trach as well.
Vomiting out of her trach is a BAD sign it means its going into her airway.
So Saturday We went BACK to the hospital. 
For stay #24.
 And thats where we are now.
She is back on IV fluids and the idea is to slowly raise her feeds and see where she 
begins to stop tolerating and go from there.
And we just have to wait it out
and try to keep Lily occupied...
Shes not happy about being here again!

4 comments:

  1. So lame. Do you get the "You guys should get frequent flyer miles!" joke daily? Because that's the only thing I can think of that would make this visit even *more* lame. Hope cute li'l grouchypants feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! we get that joke all the time! and "Wow you must have really missed us!" And "You should have a wing of the hospital named after you for how much you put into this place" and (from Drs) "well thank you for single-handedly paying my salary for the year"... yes the jokes just keep coming...

      Delete
  2. Her doctors are lucky that I'm living in Salt Lake.... But I miss Lily <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so sorry that life has not gotten better for Lily and for you. We pray for her every day. We hope to be able to see you when we come to Phoenix after Christmas. Love, Keith and Judy Edwards

    ReplyDelete