Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Feeding Tube Part Three

By October Lily had developed complications from the NG tube.
She was gaining weight great however,
and was no longer FTT!
But She had laryngomalagia,
and the tube was making it worse
causing her to have episodes of not being able to breathe,
Her voice was non existent or hoarse all the time,
and she was getting nose bleeds.
Plus,
the emotional trauma from me holding her down
and shoving a tube in her while
she screamed and cried
was taking a serious toll on her and me
and on her trust in me.
Plus we had a meeting with her SLP(speech language pathologist)
and with her GI, and with nutrition
and her dysphagia had gotten worse.
She HAD to have a feeding tube still for medical reasons
and also because she refused/didn't have the energy to drink more than 12 oz by mouth a day.
(she needs to get 32 oz in a 24 hour period 
to sustain herself.)

We also knew she needed a med port, and a muscle biopsy
so we thought we would do all three at once and reduce
the anesthesia exposure.
So the date was set.

It doesn't matter how 
"simple or routine" the surgery is
when your baby goes under for surgery its terrifying.
We arrived at the hospital at 8 am for a 11 o clock surgery
why they make you show up hours early to just sit in the waiting room 
and get more and more nervous is beyond me!
She was in a fantastic mood that morning and it broke my heart that she was gonna be in 
so much pain later that day.



The surgery started 2 hours late
cause they had to coordinate between 3 different specialties.

A jittery male nurse came in to take her back.
He took her out of my arms.
She screamed and reached for me as he carried her down the hall.
It LITERALLY took everything in me not to tackle him to the ground
grab her from his arms and flee the country.
They were gonna cut her.
They were gonna HURT her.
They were gonna put things in her.
I didn't like it at all.
Logically I knew she would be under for the procedure
and they would give her meds for the pain.
But I still wanted to "save her"

The waiting was hard. 
After it was over they came to get me and took me back to the recovery area
as soon as they opened the doors I heard this eerie scream/moan
I thought "wow whoever that is sounds bad".
they took me too her and I realized that noise was coming from her.
She was really out of it from the anesthesia and I could tell she was hurting.
once she was stable they took us to our room.

 she was really outta it all day
she wouldn't sleep
and for the most part didn't want me to touch her
The night of the surgery she spiked a fever. 
Her stats were all over the place.
The next few days were touch and go.
She finally stabilized enough to go home 8 days later.

 It wasn't that big of an adjustment to go from an NG to a g tube.
Its really a neat lil invention.
Its just a tube with a balloon.
this is what the g tube looks like with the balloon deflated.
The first time I saw it I thought to myself
"That's it?"
I expected it to be a bit more complicated

This is the g tube with the balloon inflated.
That balloon is all that keeps it inside her.

There were also a few more supplies We had to have now
Two more kinds of syringes

split 2x2 gauze

And the extension set
This is what plugs into her g tube and attaches to her feed bag.
Well that pretty much sums up the feeding tube chronicles. :)



1 comment:

  1. Once again thank you for sharing. The hurry up and wait game is so hard! Lily is such a cute happy lady! Hugs, love and prayers always

    ReplyDelete