Monday, January 30, 2012

A little ASL with your broccoli?

So the GI and the dietitian cleared Lily for 
sweet potatoes, pears, and broccoli.
They must be organic or Beech Nut Brand,
They must be thickened to "double honey" consistency,
she can only have it on days when she shows no signs of 
coughing, excess drooling, sneezing, wheezing, or teething...
Saturn and Venus must be perfectly aligned with one of Jupiter's moons
And it MUST be snowing in Phoenix...
OK, well maybe not so much about the planets being aligned and it snowing in Phoenix...
but you get the point...
So the days she is allowed to eat food by mouth are few and far between.
She finally had a day when we felt it was safe to feed her.
So we made baby food broccoli and mixed it with sweet potatoes...
I had also been trying to teach her basic ASL (American Sign Language) for months.
just watch...
 

This was the first time she successfully did the sign for "more" and she kinda does the sign for 
"all gone"... which I took for "no more"
I have learned if I try and force once she turns her head I will end up cleaning up puke.
So I don't push it.
She successfully ate about 
2 TABLESPOONS!!!
WOO-HOO!!

But then about 5 minutes later
We hear signs of aspiration.
She started wheezing,
and noisy breathing
and it sounded like there's stuff in her lungs
and I just have to pray she will cough it all up and
wont get pneumonia...

Looks like this time she got it all up...
But we wont be able to try "food"
again for a few days,
especially since it looks like her cold is back now...



4 comments:

  1. Cute video! I'm so glad you don't force her to eat and that she willingly opens her mouth! to me that's amazing haha! I just did a post about some of the words Whit can sign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! You are such a good mommy Alix! I hope her cold goes away quick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a great mom and smart bug!!! I loved it! Ok so if you dont already know about it you totally have to look into signing time! There dvds of kids useing asl. Look it up online. sooo cute thanks again for shareing. I look forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete